Wednesday, February 1, 2017




I needed to get out of the house this weekend. I wanted both to be outside and stay warm so I went to the Garfield Park Conservatory, a short drive away. Free, community driven spaces for the public good seem like a wonder to me right now amidst all of the disheartening politics ‒ as do the ferns and other flora blooming inside the conservatory. It was, in effect, a perfect place to go to get away from the news cycle. 

After this weekend, I have mostly come to terms with the fact that my mental health is going to be fragile these days. I'm channeling my inner Lykke Li/Leonard Cohen, and seeping into the emotion. It is what it is. I don't have a handle on how to deal with all of the news. I read too many articles, scroll through social media too much, vow to not feel guilty for stopping for a moment to cook, work without distraction, head to yoga, and then I return to the phone in my hand because I cannot disconnect fully at this time, no matter the ups and downs it brings.

But in case you're looking for a respite, the other night I prepared this lentil soup while listening to the Longest Shortest Time's "Accidental Gay Parents" series (Part 1, 2, 3 and 4), and both comforted me in a deep way. Because that's how it goes, isn't it? Simple joys seem almost sacred when so much is being threatened. I chop the onions, bring the lentils to a boil, stir in the coconut milk the whole time amazed at the moment I have given myself to not dwell on the work that needs to be done. And then it is back to picking up the phone, seeing what new thing I need to resist.

2 comments:

Celia R said...

I find The Longest Shortest Time so comforting. Have you heard Pod Save America? I used to think I'd rather not listen to a political podcast, but now I realize I'll be thinking about politics anyway, and the voice of hilarious likeminded people in my ear has become so soothing.

Sally said...

No, haven't listened to it yet but have heard good things! Sometimes I need a break from the political talk and sometimes I can't imagine discussing/thinking about anything else, so definitely am intrigued by political podcasts these days.